This easy porridge recipe made with apple, walnut, coconut milk, strawberries, & cinnamon is the perfect recipe to make in the fall. It’s creamy, sweet, and hearty.
What is Porridge?
Porridge is typically eaten as a breakfast cereal. It’s made with boiling water or milk w/ starchy plants – mostly grain. Although the porridge I have prepared for this recipe is raw you can make it raw or boiled because “that’s your business” as Tabitha brown would say lol. Either way, serve it up by adding flavors such as maple syrup, sugar, honey, and fruit (fresh or dried) to make it sweet. Alternatively, add your spices like cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, and so on for a savory dish.
Are oatmeal and porridge the same?
Yes! Oatmeal is a type of porridge and is the most common. As we learned earlier, porridge can be made by boiling water with starchy plants. Most commonly, grains. We’ll get into different variations of grains later in this blog post. I do like oatmeal and love to use oat flour in a variety of recipes including fav favorite 3-ingredient oatmeal pancakes. I saw this recipe in the Love is Served cookbook by Cafe Gratitude and I was so excited to make it. Love how the chef Seizan Dreux Ellis creates these wonderful spins on traditional recipes.
What makes this porridge recipe so good?
Apples: for a refreshing crispness.
Walnuts: give you that nutty and crunchy vibe.
Coconut Milk: base for this recipe. You can sub for any milk of your choice.
Vanilla Extract: a light floral sugary component to this dish.
Cinnamon: brings a sweet and woody flavor.
Sea Salt: gives overall flavor.
Hemp Seeds: adds a nutty flavor along with protein & omega-3 fatty acids.
Porridge Recipe Variations
- Chai Latte – this recipe infuses oats, water, or milk, with chai latte powder. Add your favorite toppings for a sweet or savory dish.
- Healthy Nutella- include any grain of your choice along with Hazelnut milk and top with cacao nibs. Along with any other toppings.
Leave a comment below and tell us what type of porridge you’ll be trying this weekend.
Best Porridge Recipe: Raw Apple Walnut Porridge with Coconut Milk & Strawberries
- 1 large apple roughly chopped
- 5 large fresh strawberries or other seasonal berries
- 1.5 cups coconut milk or any milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon to taste
- sea salt add a pinch
- Make the porridge: In a blender, combine the apple, strawberries, coconut milk, walnuts, vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt. Pulse until you have reached your desired consistency, chunky or smooth.
- Transfer the porridge to serving bowls and garnish with sliced strawberries, chopped walnuts/pecans, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Want more? Check out these breakfast recipes.
- BREAKFAST MUFFINS (GOLDEN MIK)
- EASY OATMEAL PANCAKES (3 INGREDIENTS)
- AVOCADO TOAST WITH ROASTED HEIRLOOM TOMATOES