posted Feb 26, 2023, updated Oct 13, 2023, by Shana Thomas
This grapefruit smoothie recipe is my go-to smoothie when I want something sweet and refreshing.
I love hearty and savory recipes. However, this smoothie is an easy way to pack in vitamin C and anti-inflammatory benefits into a delicious drink.
In addition, the benefits of this smoothie are great additions to your wellness routine. It helps fight colds and viral infections.
What is the healthiest liquid to put in a smoothie?
I’d suggest using water, coconut water, or non-dairy milk.
What should you not mix in a smoothie?
I would not add ice, milk, or sugar to a smoothie. Milk is great to use in a milkshake. However, dairy creates excess mucus in the body. You’re already getting natural sugars from the fruit so no need to add additional sugar. Ice – when you drink/eat icy food first thing in the morning, you’re weakening your digestive tract.
What is the best base for a smoothie?
Fruit is typically the best base for a smoothie. Feel free to use any fruit of your choice.
What should I add to my smoothie for weight loss?
Fiber! It keeps you fuller longer. Fruit and vegetables have lots of fiber and are a great addition to smoothies. Some other ingredients that rev up the metabolism and can help with weight loss include cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar, almond butter, chia seeds, protein powder, and matcha powder.
A few reasons you’ll love this grapefruit smoothie
- Lots of vitamin C
- Rich in Antioxidant & Phytonutrient
- Omegas 3 & 6
What’s in this smoothie
- Grapefruit – semi-sweet and bitter! A great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium.
- Strawberries – high levels of antioxidants. Rich in fiber, and can help lower your blood pressure.
- Apple – nice tart flavor. Help lower the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- Ginger – Anti-inflammatory! Ginger has many benefits including helping with chronic indigestion and treating many forms of nausea.
- Hemp seeds – have a delicious nutty flavor profile and are packed with omega 3 & 6 and protein.
- Water – I like to use water in my smoothies vs non-dairy milk. It’s a great way to get in extra water throughout the day. However, feel free to substitute the water for the non-dairy milk of your choice.
How to make this smoothie
Firstly, the ginger and grapefruit may have somewhat of a bitter taste. Not to worry! Combining the other fresh fruit turns it into something delicious.
Secondly, add all the ingredients into your blender and process until smooth and creamy. Feel free to top the smoothie with more hemp seeds!
Common Questions about Grapefruit Smoothies
Grapefruit pairs well with coconut, banana, raspberry, ginger, lemon, melon, papaya, mint, pomegranate, pineapple, strawberry, peaches, tropical fruit, basil, thyme, and vanilla.
It’s a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium. Also, it helps to cleanse the body. Check out this article for more benefits on grapefruit.
Cut a small piece of the flesh off with a knife. Following that, peel it like you would an orange.
Yes, chop the grapefruit into pieces, add them to an air-tight container, and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Other delicious smoothies you should try:
Shana’s Kitchen Essentials
Check out some of the kitchen ingredients & tools I used to make this smoothie.
Leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram and let me know how you like this simple grapefruit smoothie. I’d love to hear from you;-)
Best Grapefruit Smoothie
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and process until creamy and smooth.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.