This watermelon and cucumber salad without feta is a super quick and easy recipe. It’s refreshing, simple, and ready in no time.
As the summer heat rises, there’s nothing quite as refreshing as a light and vibrant salad to cool you down. This watermelon and cucumber salad with mango dressing is the perfect combination of crispness, sweetness, and tanginess. The juicy watermelon, refreshing cucumber, and tropical mango dressing create a harmonious blend of flavors that will leave you craving more. Let’s dive into the recipe and discover how these ingredients come together to create a sensational summer salad.
Watermelon and Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- Watermelon: The juicy and refreshing watermelon serves as the base of this salad. It adds a burst of sweetness, hydrating properties, and vibrant color to the dish.
- Cucumber: It brings a cool and crisp element to the salad. Its refreshing flavor and high water content make it an ideal ingredient for hot summer days.
- Arugula has a distinctive flavor that adds a unique element to the salad. Its peppery and slightly bitter taste complements the sweetness of the watermelon and the crispness of the cucumber, creating a well-balanced and flavorful combination.
- Fresh Mint Leaves: The torn mint leaves add a refreshing and aromatic quality to the salad. Their bright flavor complements the other ingredients and enhances the overall taste experience.
- Mango Dressing: The mango dressing is a luscious and tropical addition to the salad. Made with ripe mango, lime juice, fresh rosemary, olive oil, and a touch of sweetness, the dressing complements the watermelon and cucumber with its tangy and fruity flavors.
How to make this watermelon and cucumber salad
- Firstly, in a large bowl, combine the cubed watermelon, sliced cucumbers, arugula, chopped parsley, and torn mint leaves. Toss gently to mix the ingredients.
- Secondly, in a blender or food processor, combine the peeled and pitted mango, lime juice, rosemary, olive oil, honey, or maple syrup (if using), salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Thirdly, pour the mango dressing over the watermelon and cucumber mixture. Gently toss to evenly coat the salad with the dressing.
- Fourthly, if desired, sprinkle crumbled vegan feta cheese over the top of the salad for an added savory element.
- Finally, serve the watermelon and cucumber salad immediately, or refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with additional fresh mint leaves & rosemary, if desired, and serve chilled.
Watermelon Cucumber Salad Variations
- Greek-inspired Watermelon Salad: Add some Kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, and chopped fresh dill to the salad. The combination of salty olives and creamy feta cheese provides a Mediterranean twist to the salad, while the dill adds a refreshing herbaceous note.
- Spicy Watermelon Salad: For those who enjoy a bit of heat, incorporate diced jalapeños or red chili flakes into the salad. The spicy kick pairs well with the sweet watermelon and crisp cucumber, adding an extra layer of flavor and excitement.
- Berry Watermelon Salad: Enhance the salad with the addition of fresh berries such as blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries. The sweetness of the berries complements the watermelon and adds a burst of color and antioxidants to the salad.
- Nutty Crunch: Sprinkle some toasted nuts such as slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, or pine nuts on top of the salad. The nutty crunch adds texture and depth of flavor, elevating the overall salad experience.
- Avocado Watermelon Salad: Incorporate creamy avocado slices into the salad to add richness and a silky texture. Avocado pairs well with watermelon and cucumber, creating a creamy and refreshing combination.
- Quinoa Watermelon Salad: For a heartier version, add cooked quinoa to the salad. Quinoa not only provides extra protein and fiber but also adds a nutty flavor and chewy texture, making the salad more filling and satisfying.
- Herb Watermelon Salad: Experiment with different herbs to infuse the salad with unique flavors. Try adding basil or cilantro for an herbaceous twist.
How to store this salad
- Refrigeration: Transfer any leftovers or unused portions of the salad into an airtight container.
- Separate Dressing: If you have dressed the salad, it’s best to store the dressing separately to prevent the salad from becoming soggy. Place the dressing in a separate container with a tight lid.
- Assembly: If you prefer to assemble the salad ahead of time, layer the ingredients in a container, starting with the watermelon and cucumber at the bottom, followed by any other toppings. Keep the dressing separate and add it just before serving.
- Storage Duration: The Watermelon Cucumber Salad is best consumed within 1-2 days for optimal freshness. As time goes by, the texture of the watermelon and cucumber may soften, and the flavors may blend together.
- Refrigeration: Place the sealed container(s) in the refrigerator to keep the salad fresh. Make sure the refrigerator temperature is set to below 40°F (4°C) to maintain food safety.
- Shake and Serve: Before serving any stored portions, give the dressing container a good shake to ensure the ingredients are well mixed. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine the flavors.
More Salad Recipes
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW, TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM, AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS REFRESHING SALAD. I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU;-)
Watermelon & Cucumber Salad with Mango Dressing
Watermelon & Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 5 oz baby arugula about 1 pack of store-bought arugula
- 4 cups watermelon roughly cubed
- 2 lrg cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls parsley roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves torn
Mango-Lime Dressing Ingredients
- 1 ripe mango peeled and pitted
- 3 tsp fresh or dried rosemary can sub for thyme
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey optional for added sweetness
- 1/3 cup vegan feta cheese
- thinly sliced red onions as much as desired
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or hemp seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the cubed watermelon, sliced cucumbers, parsley, and torn mint leaves. Toss gently to mix the ingredients.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the peeled and pitted mango, lime juice, rosemary, olive oil, honey, or maple syrup (if using), salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mango dressing over the watermelon and cucumber mixture. Gently toss to evenly coat the salad with the dressing. Serve the watermelon and cucumber salad immediately, or refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with additional fresh mint leaves, if desired, and serve chilled. If desired, add crumbled vegan feta cheese, thinly sliced red onions, or chia seeds over the top of the salad for an added savory & crunchy element.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.