This watermelon slushie is refreshing, easy to make, and perfect to drink on any summer day.
I remember seeing huge watermelons on the table at family gatherings and BBQs. It seems like yesterday I was biting into a slice of fresh watermelon on those hot summer days. Now, we’re remixing a classic fruit into the most refreshing drink you’ll want to have all spring and summer long.
Since getting a high-speed blender, I’ve been making all kinds of dips, juices, and sauces. Like my easy hummus, roasted red pepper dip, and basil pesto. It makes all these delicious recipes within minutes or less. I’m loving fresh-made juices. Their healthier, have fewer calories and have less sugar. Which is what we all want, right?
Is frozen watermelon good?
Frozen watermelon can last for up to 6 months. Slice into cubes and store in an airtight container.
What is the difference between a Slurpee and a slushy?
A Slurpee is a brand name for fizzy slushies sold by 7-Eleven. A slushie is a generic name and can be made at home or purchased at the store.
Can you freeze watermelon and use it in a smoothie?
Absolutely! Frozen watermelon can be used for smoothies, ice cream, sorbet, and drinks of your choice.
Can you freeze watermelon for ice cubes?
Slice the watermelon into cubes or pieces. Remove the seeds and the rind. Use a blender to puree the watermelon. Pour the puree into the ice cube trays and freeze.
Ingredients for this watermelon slushie
- frozen watermelon – freezing the watermelon is best for making a slushie.
- fresh lemon juice – the acidity helps brighten and balance the other flavors.
- mint – adds a refreshing flavor.
- basil – compliments the mint and watermelon well.
- maple syrup – it’s optional but adds sweetness.
How to make a watermelon slushie
- Firstly, sit the frozen watermelon chunks out at room temperature to defrost for 5-10 minutes. To the blender, add the watermelon, lemon juice, mint, basil, maple syrup, and water.
- Secondly, blend until the watermelon mixture is thick and slushy. If the mixture is too thick, add some extra water and pulse until you reach desired consistency.
- Thirdly, serve and enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe
- If you do not have a high-speed blender with a tamper, I would suggest making this recipe in a food processor.
- I used maple syrup for sweetness. But feel free to add any sweetener of your choice.
- For a boozing slushie, feel free to add vodka or tequila.
More delicious healthy drinks
Best Watermelon Slushie
- 1 lemon (freshly squeezed juice) can sub for lime juice
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- 2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh mint or basil leaves
- Sit the frozen watermelon chunks out at room temperature to defrost for 5-10 minutes. To a high-speed blender, add the watermelon, lemon juice, mint, basil, maple syrup, and water.
- Blend until the watermelon mixture is thick and slushy. If the mixture is too thick, add some extra water and pulse until you reach desired consistency.
- Pour into glass cups and enjoy!
- Optional: Lemon or lime wheels and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Optional: 1 cup chilled vodka or tequila
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.