These vegan cauliflower steaks are an easy dinner recipe the whole family can enjoy. The homemade romesco sauce is made with simple ingredients you can find in your pantry. It’s rich, creamy, and nutritious. The sauce is versatile and can be used in many other dishes. Whether you roast or grill the cauliflower steaks I’m sure you’re gonna love this recipe.
Benefits of c
Cauliflower steaks are one of my favorite weekly dishes. It’s a great way to use a vegetable that you would normally use as a side dish as a main entree. As you know, cauliflower is part of the cruciferous family. Which includes some of my favorite vegetables – broccoli,
Traditional romesco sauce ingredients
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- Blanched Almonds (toasted)
- Tomato Paste
- Sherry Vinegar (I used Balsamic Vinegar)
- Smoked Paprika
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
How to make homemade romesco sauce?
Firstly, use a gas stove to char the roasted red bell peppers over the flame. Once the side down on the open flame is blackened and blistered turn it over to the next side. Continue turning with tongs until all sides are blackened. Alternatively, char under the broiler on a covered baking sheet and turn as needed. Once complete, add the peppers to a bowl, cover with a lid (or whatever you have on hand) and let it steam for 20 minutes. Finally, remove skins using plastic gloves or paper towels. After that, you may need to use a knife to remove any stubborn spots. Remove and throw away stems, seeds, and ribs.
I know you will enjoy this cauliflower steak with romesco sauce recipe, friends! For more delicious recipes, check out my recipe page.
Other ways to make cauliflower steaks
Cauliflower is very versatile and there are so many delicious ways to enjoy it. Like, cauliflower on the grill with carrot sauce. Simply blend (until smooth) 2 cups of baby carrots, 1 garlic clove, 2/4 cup water, a natural sweetener like maple syrup, or honey. Store in the fridge for 5 days.
How to grill cauliflower steak
- Heat the grill.
- Brush both sides of the cauliflower steak with grapeseed oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the cauliflower to the hot grill and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the bottom is starting to char.
- Turnover the cauliflower and cook for additional 5 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Next, remove the cauliflower and garnish with lemon wedges, parsley, or basil pesto.
Cauliflower Steaks with Romesco Sauce
- 1 large head cauliflower
- homemade Romesco Sauce
- 2 tbsp xtra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil for brushing
- fresh herbs or greens
- sea salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
Homemade Romesco Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Trim bottom of stem from cauliflower but try not to cut the foundation of the cauliflower as it holds in place. Once complete, stand cauliflower head upright on a cutting board.
- Cut into 4 vertical slices, each 1 to 1.5 inches thick. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil or coconut oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roast, flipping once until cauliflower is soft and browned – about 35 minutes. Serve with homemade romesco sauce and topped with fresh herbs or microgreens.
Homemade Romesco Sauce
- Char peppers over the flame of a gas stove, turning with tongs until blackened. (Or char under broiler on a rimmed baking sheet, turning as needed.) Transfer to a bowl, cover with a lid or plastic and let steam 20 minutes. Remove skins, using your hands or paper towels (and a paring knife for any stubborn spots); discard. Remove and discard stems, ribs, and seeds.
- Transfer peppers to a food processor. Add garlic, almonds, vinegar, tomato paste, and smoked paprika. Pulse until combined. With machine running, slowly add oil, processing until combined. Season with salt. This sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days before serving, at room temperature.
Want more? Check out these cauliflower recipes…
- THE BEST WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
- HOW TO MAKE CILANTRO CAULIFLOWER RICE
- THE BEST VEGAN MASHED POTATOES