Jerk seasoning is commonly used in Jamaican recipes, but this mildly spicy flavor is so delicious that you’ll want to drizzle it over everything! If you love jerk food as much as I do, this recipe is perfect for you.
This easy jerk seasoning is vegan and gluten-free. It’s a homemade jerk paste that’s one of my go-to marinades when I’m in the mood for that jerk flavor. It’s easy to whip up overnight or the day of your bbq or family gathering. Most recently, I made it for a tempeh scramble with vegetables that I highly recommend. Jerk is a cooking style that comes from Jamaica. In this form, meat is dry-rubbed or marinated with a spice mixture called Jamaican jerk spice. When I visited Jamaica, I ate plenty of authentic jerk food including jerk chicken (this was before I was vegan, of course) and it was all delicious.
Jerk Seasoning Ingredients
I’ve been eating jerk food since I was little and I had no idea how easy it is to make jerk seasoning.
- white onion
- garlic clove
- fresh ginger
- maple syrup
- dried thyme
- sea salt
- black pepper
- ground allspice
- cayenne pepper
- fresh lime juice
- ground nutmeg
- oil of your choice
How do you make jerk seasoning (sauce) from scratch
In a high-powered blender, combine the onion, scallion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, maple syrup, thyme, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg. cayenne, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, tamari, grapeseed oil, and 1 cup of water and blend until smooth.
How long does this jerk marinade last
The jerk marinade will last up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator. For longer use, make a batch and put it in an air-tight glass container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Just unthaw, and drizzle over your quick, and easy vegan lunch or dinner.
Homemade Jerk Seasoning
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cop chopped white onion
- 1 small scallion white and green parts
- 1 small garlic clove
- one 1-inch knob fresh ginger or ground ginger
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded remove seeds for less heat
- 2 tsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp neutral cooking oil
- In a high-powered blender, combine the onion, scallion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, maple syrup, thyme, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg. cayenne, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, tamari, grapeseed oil, and 1 cup of water and blend until smooth.