This easy elderberry smoothie recipe is creamy, packed with nutrients, and flavorful.
There has been an increased amount of attention on elderberries in the past year or so, for good reason too. They have many benefits. I love drinking elderberry tea. One day I thought, “Why not add elderberry to my smoothie.” After all, I love trying new smoothie recipes and switching up the ingredients in my fruit smoothies from time to time. I’m obsessed with hemp seeds and add them to as many recipes as possible. More details on the benefits of elderberry and hemp seeds are later in this post.
How to make a smoothie healthy
- protein: Try adding ingredients such as nuts, seeds, cacao nibs, protein powder, or vegan yogurt. Some of my favorite nuts and seeds include chia, walnuts, pumpkin, and hemp seeds, of course. For the protein powder, check the label for artificial sweeteners. If you’re dairy-free, look for ingredients like whey protein as whey is a dairy product.
- fiber: Did you know the average adult fiber intake is only 15 grams per day? The American Heart Association indicates the total fiber intake should be 25 to 30 grams daily. Several of the ingredients listed above include fiber. Also, vegetables are a great way to add fiber to your smoothie. Veggies like carrots, zucchini, and cauliflower just to name a few. And, I love adding dried prunes, a great fiber source.
- fruit: Add half to one cup of the fruit of your choice. I usually opt for frozen fruit here. For (2) reasons, frozen fruit, and veggies are picked at peak ripeness. And, frozen fruit adds creaminess and texture to smoothies.
- healthy fat: Avocados and nut butter are great options here.
- greens: dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, or mixed greens are nutritious choices as well.
- liquid: Plant-based milk of choices like almond milk, coconut milk, flavored tea, or just plain water. Milk adds a nice creamy texture. Check the ingredients of your non-dairy milk. Choose brands that have just a few simple ingredients. I love a few clean brands: Malk, Three Trees, & Elmhurst.
- flavor boosters: here are a few ingredients that can boost flavor. Coconut yogurt, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, tea (of choice), cacao, and citrus. Get creative and experiment!
Some Elderberry tea benefits
- antioxidants & vitamins
- help with inflammation
- minor skin conditions
A few Hempseed benefits
- omega-6 and omega-3
- great source of protein
- help reduce PMS symptoms
What’s in this elderberry smoothie recipe
- elderberry tea
- non-dairy milk
- mixed berries
- mixed greens
- hemp seeds
- almond butter
Best blenders for making smoothies
- Affordable blender: it’s best to start with what you have. You do not need a fancy blender to make a delicious smoothie. Click here is an affordable option: Hamilton Beach personal blender.
- NutriBullet: Once I was ready to upgrade, I got the NutriBullet. I’ve been using it for years and still use it now.
- Instant Pot Blender: I recently purchased the Instant Pot Blender and It is amazing. Much more versatile than my Nutribullet. I can make soups, nut milk, smoothies, and much more.
Does elderberry tea have caffeine
Elderberry tea does not have caffeine. It’s an herbal tea.
How to make a smoothie if I don’t like bananas
You can omit bananas from your smoothies. Only use ingredients that you enjoy.
More delicious breakfast recipes
Leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram and let me know if you make this elderberry smoothie.
Best Elderberry Smoothie
- 1/2 cup elderberry tea cooled
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup mixed berries or fruit of your choice
- 1 handful mixed greens of your choice
- 1-2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy.
Snap a photo, post it, and tag #ImWorthyRecipes and @IMWORTHYKITCHEN on Instagram
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.
I make this smoothie all the time especially when I’m under the weather. It’s very good.
Hi Maria! That’s amazing. I’m so happy you enjoyed the smoothie.
Hi Maria, thank you for sharing your feedback.