Step into the cozy world of ‘Healthy Hot Chocolate,’ where warmth and wellness unite in a cup of indulgent delight, inviting you to savor the soothing, guilt-free goodness.
In the fall/winter, I remember going to my grandma’s house after school and she had a warm pot of hot chocolate waiting for my cousins and me.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Can be spicy
Traditional hot chocolate usually has a diary, processed white sugar, and other artificial preservatives and additives. Now, there are so many options to make delicious homemade hot chocolate better than Starbucks. Yes, you can make homemade hot chocolate that tastes better than Starbucks.
My homemade leveled-up hot chocolate is made with wholesome ingredients, and natural sweetener, and is dairy-free, too. Choose any type of milk of your choice. I prefer almond, cashew, or oat milk. What’s your favorite non-dairy milk of choice?
What’s in this healthy hot chocolate
- Oat milk (or any unsweetened dairy-free milk of choice, like almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk).
- Unsweetened organic cocoa powder (or cacao powder, which is raw chocolate powder).
- Maple syrup or honey to sweeten it up (use a natural sweetener to control the quality and amount of sugar).
- Vanilla extract to give it a rich, floral flavor.
- Cinnamon gives it a sweet & woody essence.
- Sea Salt helps to bring out and enhance the flavor of the chocolate.
- 70% dark chocolate (or dairy-free chocolate chips): this ingredient is optional but highly recommended. Melting real chocolate into this hot chocolate recipe takes it to the next level.
How to make vegan hot chocolate mix
Learn how to make your hot chocolate mix by adding one cup of cocoa powder, 1/3 cup of coconut sugar, and a pinch of sea salt.
How to make this healthy hot chocolate recipe
- Firstly, start by heating the oat milk (or milk of your choice) on the stove over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Secondly, add the organic cocoa powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, sea salt, dark chocolate/chocolate chips, and vanilla extract. Next, whisk until the chocolate is all melted and the mixture is hot.
- Thirdly, serve immediately and top with coconut whipped cream and more chocolate chips.
Hot chocolate Flavors, Toppings, and Serving ideas
Explore adding the following ideas to customize your hot chocolate
- A pinch of cayenne for a spicy hot chocolate.
- Peppermint extract for peppermint hot chocolate.
- A spoonful of your favorite liquor.
- Try some adaptogens like ashwagandha or reishi to relax the nervous system.
- Add in a teaspoon of pumpkin spice for a pumpkin spice hot chocolate.
Simple Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix Substitutions
- Swap oat milk for almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk.
- Sweetener options: date syrup or monk fruit.
- Instead of maple syrup use coconut sugar, agave, or stevia.
- Swap dark chocolate for dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Swap coconut whipped topping for vegan marshmallows.
Hot Chocolate FAQs
Yes, it is easy and simple to make a healthy version of hot chocolate at home. Check out the recipe for all the details.
Drinking hot chocolate while trying to lose weight is fine as long as it works for you. So long as you make your hot chocolate to control the number of sweeteners.
Yes, vegans can have hot chocolate by using quality ingredients and dairy-free milk.
More Dairy-Free Beverages
- Iced Latte
- Berry Banana Smoothie
- Vanilla Oat Milk Latte
- Grapefruit Strawberry Smoothie
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Chai Latte
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS DAIRY-FREE HOT CHOCOLATE I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU;-)
Best Healthy Hot Chocolate (Dairy-Free)
- Start by heating the oat milk (or milk of your choice) on the stove over medium heat until hot but not boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Add the organic cocoa powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, sea salt, dark chocolate/chocolate chips, and vanilla extract. Next, whisk for 5 minutes or until the chocolate is all melted and the mixture is hot.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.