This creamy sun-dried tomato pasta is an easy plant-based recipe that comes together in 20 minutes or less.
When you don’t know what to cook for dinner or just want a healthy vegan/vegetarian-friendly recipe that’s super simple and delicious make this sun-dried tomato pasta recipe your go-to. This easy vegan meal is perfect for an easy dinner recipe for two or something the whole family can enjoy.
This easy vegan recipe is highly customizable as you can add whatever veggies and protein suit your cravings at the moment. Some ingredients I like to add to this pasta are spinach, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, beyond meat, vegan cheese, pine nuts, and the list goes on.
How many calories are in a bowl of sun-dried tomato pasta
I don’t like to count calories all the time. I like to eat intuitively. If you are curious, this pasta dish is roughly 300 calories. Of course, this will be different for everyone depending on ingredients and serving size. It’s a bit lower than your normal bowl of pasta because we’re using Barilla (penne) protein pasta. This pasta has 10g of protein from ingredients like chickpeas, lentils, and pea protein. One serving of pasta is only 190 calories.
What’s in this easy plant-based pasta
- penne pasta
- sun-dried tomatoes
- shredded Brussels sprouts & kale
- nutritional yeast
- sea salt
- black pepper
- dried oregano
- Italian seasoning
- dried sage
- oat milk
How to cook sun-dried tomato pesto pasta
If you’re interested in making sun-dried tomato pesto pasta see the following steps.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, basil, garlic (I prefer roasted garlic), and nutritional yeast to a food processor or blender and pulse or puree into a pesto. It should have a bit of texture.
- Feel free to add a bit of hot pasta water (2-3 Tbsp) if you have trouble making the tomato pesto mixture.
- Add your drained pasta to a pot and pour the pesto over it. Use a large spoon to mix well and season to your desired liking.
- Serve warm or cold with additional basil and nutritional yeast.
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU MAKE THIS EASY SUN-DRIED TOMATO PASTA LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU;-)
Creamy Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- 1 box barilla protein penne pasta 14.5oz
- 1 jar sun-dried tomatoes 8oz
- 1 cup shredded brussel sprouts & kale finely shredded
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast plus more for topping at the end
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup oat milk (plus more, if needed) (sub for any non-dairy milk)
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 handful pine nuts optional
- 2 tbsp oil from jar of sun-dried tomato sub for extra virgin olive oil
- Over medium heat add sea salt and water to a pot. Once the water starts to boil, add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the sun-dried tomato oil into a large skillet over medium heat and reserve the tomatoes. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and onions and saute until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and kale (sub for any veggies of your choice). Season with oregano, sage, black pepper, sea salt, and Italian seasonings and let simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of oat milk and stir. Toss the pasta and sun-dried tomatoes into the skillet and toss to coat. Continue stirring until warmed through 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Top with more nutritional yeast, juice of one lemon, and pine nuts. Transfer the pasta to bowls and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.