This vegan sweet potato soup recipe is rich in flavor and great for a cozy fall/winter night. Also, adding spinach and chickpeas makes this recipe rich in fiber, iron, and protein. It’s an all-around win-win!!
As I write this blog post it is a beautiful fall day in October. A great day for apple picking or making a soup that is good for the soul and body. Some of my favorite things about fall include leaves falling, layering clothes, and eating my favorite chilis, soups, and drinking teas.
Why you’ll love this soup
- Can be blended into a creamy soup or enjoyed as is.
- Meal prep & freezer friendly.
- Can be made in a large pot, instant pot, or slow cooker.
- Healthy & easy to make.
What’s in this vegan sweet potato soup
- Vegetables: Sweet potatoes, Spinach, bell pepper, garlic, & onions.
- Creaminess: Coconut cream & almond butter
- Herbs/Spices: Rosemary, thyme, salt, black pepper, cayenne, & smoked paprika.
- Legumes: Chickpeas.
How to Make this Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- First, add olive oil to a large pot. Once the heat is warm, add the onions, garlic, and diced bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes or, until the onions are slightly softened.
- Second, add the cayenne pepper, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika, and sauté.
- Third, add the sweet potatoes & chickpeas and toss them with the other ingredients and spices.
- Fourth, add in the vegetable stock and coconut cream, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat cover the pot, and leave to simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Fifth, add in the almond butter & chopped spinach and stir them in.
- Sixth, leave the soup as is and skip to the last step. Or, follow the instructions below to blend into a creamy soup.
- Seventh, blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to your blender jug in stages and then return to the pot.
- Finally, taste & adjust seasonings as needed. Top with cilantro or parsley. Serve warm!
Sweet Potato Soup Q & A
Once you have added your spices, sweet potatoes, garlic, and onions to a large pot, add your favorite (dairy-free) cream component such as coconut cream or cannellini beans. If you love cashews, then right before you transfer the soup to the blender, add 1/2 cup of soaked cashews to the soup mixture for an even creamier texture and flavor.
Both work well. You’ll find that most nutrients are on the skin. It’s better to leave the skin on to get all that fiber. However, to make the soup, I’d suggest removing the skin before boiling it. Removing the skin will create a soft & creamy texture soup.
Yes, sweet potatoes have lots of benefits including fiber, beta carotene, and support cardiovascular health. For more benefits, check out this article on sweet potato nutrition facts & health benefits.
Yes, store the soup in an airtight container for up to 5 months.
There are several ways to add richness to a vegan soup. Add a good broth/stock, herbs, spices, or a dairy-free cream.
There are several ways to substitute heavy creams such as coconut cream, cashew cream, cannellini beans, or white potatoes.
Other ingredients to add to the soup
This soup is so versatile. In the fall I make this soup every week and just switch out some of the ingredients based on what’s available in my fridge. Here are some other ingredients that taste delicious in this soup.
- Cashew cream
- Curry Powder
How to store sweet potato soup
Store this soup in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days in the fridge. Store the soup in the freezer, in an airtight container for up to 4-6 months.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- INSTANT POT VEGETABLE SOUP
- CUCUMBER SOUP
- PUMPKIN SOUP
- SWEET POTATOES WITH PEACH SALSA BUDDHA BOWL
- CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
- SWEET POTATO PIE
Leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram and let me know if you make this easy sweet potato soup.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Spinach and Chickpeas
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (2 small to medium or 1 large), peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 14 oz canned coconut cream Unsweetened
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed & drained (optional)
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup almond butter optional
- Add olive oil to a large pot. Once the heat is warm, add the onions, garlic, diced bell pepper and sauté for 3-minutes or, until the onions are slightly softened.
- Add in the cayenne pepper, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and sauté for one additional minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes & chickpeas and toss with the other ingredients and spices.
- Add in the vegetable stock and coconut cream, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat cover the pot and leave to simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add in the almond butter & chopped spinach and stir them in.
- Leave the soup as is and skip to the last step. Or, follow the instructions below to blend into a creamy soup.
- Blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to your blender jug in stages and then return to the pot.
- Taste & adjust seasonings as needed. Top with cilantro or parsley. Serve warm!
Snap a photo, post it, and tag #ImWorthyRecipes and @IMWORTHYKITCHEN on Instagram
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.
This post was originally published on October 25th, 2019, and republished on March 12th, 2023.
This is absolutely one of my favorite recipes on your blog. It’s so good!!
Yayyy!! I’m so glad you enjoyed this sweet potato soup. It’s one of my favorites as well.
This soup is so creamy and delicious. Thank you, Shana!
Thanks so much for your feedback!