Get ready to savor a taste of cozy, plant-based comfort that’ll transport you straight to a rustic kitchen – my vegan cornbread stuffing is the ultimate soul-warming delight!
Let me introduce you to the heart of my Thanksgiving table—the stuffing, lovingly referred to as cornbread dressing. It’s not just a dish; it’s my absolute favorite. The way the textures and flavors come together is pure magic. With the fragrant sage, the delicate leeks, and the comforting cornbread, this dish soars to the highest culinary heights.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- My vegan cornbread stuffing is a crowd-pleaser, delivering that irresistible blend of cozy comfort and mouthwatering flavor, making it the star of your holiday table.
- With its quick and easy preparation, this stuffing recipe is a lifesaver for busy cooks, allowing you to savor the season without spending hours in the kitchen.
- You’ll adore how this stuffing captures the essence of a classic favorite while embracing a compassionate, plant-based twist, making it a must-have for everyone at your table.
Vegan cornbread stuffing ingredients
- Cornbread Croutons: These golden nuggets of cornbread perfection bring a comforting crunch and a warm, cozy flavor to the stuffing.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms: These earthy, robust mushrooms, cousins of the portobello, add a hearty and rich dimension to the dish.
- Leeks: With their mild onion flavor and a touch of sweetness, leeks infuse the stuffing with a delicate and aromatic depth.
- Sage: Sage, whether fresh or dried, adds a fragrant and savory note, elevating the stuffing to holiday perfection.
- Sweet Bell Peppers: These peppers provide a delightful contrast, creating a harmonious medley of flavors.
- Dried Cranberries: These chewy jewels of sweetness offer a delightful pop of fruity contrast to the savory richness of the stuffing.
- Veggie Stock: A hearty vegetable stock forms the flavorful foundation of the stuffing, infusing it with an umami depth that’s pure comfort.
- Garlic Cloves: With their aromatic charm, garlic cloves add a touch of warmth and a hint of earthiness to the dish.
- Herbs: Whether fresh or dried, rosemary and thyme introduce a fragrant herbal complexity that elevates the stuffing.
- Salt and Black Pepper: The dynamic duo of seasoning, salt, and black pepper, balance and enhance the flavors for a mouthwatering outcome.
- Oil or Vegan Butter: The choice between oil or vegan butter provides the rich, comforting base for this delicious stuffing.
How to make vegan cornbread stuffing
- Firstly, in an oven-safe skillet, let’s kick things off with a sautéing spectacle. Sizzle those leeks, garlic, bell pepper, and fresh sage in a generous dose of vegan butter, and don’t forget to sprinkle in a dash of salt and black pepper.
- Secondly, as the kitchen fills with the enchanting aromas of our sautéed ensemble, it’s time to introduce the mushrooms, rosemary, and those irresistible dried cranberries, continuing to cook until every veggie is tender.
- Thirdly, this is the moment when we bring everything together in harmonious stuffing bliss. Add half of the cornbread croutons and give it all a good stir.
- Fourthly, we’re not holding back on flavor here. Pour that veggie stock over the stuffing mixture, blending it all into a savory symphony. Don’t forget to taste and tweak the seasoning to your heart’s content.
- Finally, sprinkle the remaining cornbread croutons on top, gently cover the pan with foil, and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Then, uncover the stuffing for a final 5-minute bake until it gleams with a delectable golden hue.
Vegan Cornbread Stuffing FAQ
The terms are often used interchangeably, but traditionally, “stuffing” is cooked inside the turkey, while “dressing” is prepared as a side dish. For a vegan twist, our cornbread stuffing is entirely plant-based.
In this recipe, we combine a medley of cornbread croutons, leeks, garlic, bell pepper, fresh sage, mushrooms, rosemary, dried cranberries, and veggie stock. These flavorful components work in harmony to deliver a delicious cruelty-free alternative to traditional stuffing.
In this delectable Cornbread Stuffing recipe, no binder is necessary. The harmonious combination of ingredients, including cornbread croutons and veggie stock, creates a moist and flavorful stuffing without the need for eggs.
For a gluten-free twist, opt for a gluten-free cornbread mix or gluten-free bread in this recipe. I’ve found that Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Cornbread Mix works beautifully to achieve that delightful gluten-free goodness.
- Start with the best cornbread croutons you can find or make your own for a rich, authentic cornbread flavor.
- Taste as you go and season with care; achieving the right balance of salt, herbs, and spices is key.
- Don’t hesitate to add your favorite veggies, nuts, or dried fruits to personalize the stuffing and make it uniquely yours.
Holiday recipes to pair with cornbread dressing
- lentil meatloaf
- black-eyed peas
- green beans
- vegan mac and cheese
- herby lentil patties
- creamy vegan mashed potatoes
If you’ve tried this vegan cornbread dressing, share your thoughts in the comments or rate it below. Join me on Instagram for more plant-based recipes and wellness inspiration!
Easy Vegan Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 loaf cornbread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or any high-heat neutral cooking oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or neutral oil of your choice
- 1 tbsp fresh sage* finely chopped; (fresh or dried)
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms (chopped) about 2 cups
- 1.5 tbsp rosemary (dried or fresh) finely chopped
- 2 leeks white and light green parts only, diced
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth less or more as needed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Vegan cornbread croutons
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut cornbread into 1/2 inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the cubed cornbread with oil.
- Add the cubes to a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Toast in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Flip the cubes halfway through.
- Add additional time if the croutons are not crispy yet, like 10-15 minutes. Looking for a recipe for vegan cornbread? Check out my easy cornbread recipe here.
Vegan Cornbread Stuffing
- Begin by heating vegan butter or oil in an oven-safe skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Sauté leeks, garlic, bell pepper, and fresh sage, add a dash of salt and black pepper, and let them dance for about 3 minutes.
- Next, invite the mushrooms, rosemary, and dried cranberries to join the party and continue the flavorful fiesta until all the veggies are tender, which should take around 5 minutes.
- Now, blend half of the cornbread croutons into this delightful mixture, ensuring all the ingredients harmonize beautifully.
- Pour the veggie stock over this glorious concoction, giving it one more twirl. Taste and season as your heart desires.
- For the grand finale, sprinkle the remaining cornbread croutons on top, then elegantly cloak the pan with foil and let it bask in the oven's warmth for 30 minutes.
- Unveil the stuffing's golden crown by removing the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, just until the top attains that perfect, delectable shade of golden brown. Serve with my homemade cranberry sauce.
- Flavorful Croutons: Start with the best cornbread croutons you can find or make your own for a rich, authentic cornbread flavor.
- Balanced Seasoning: Taste as you go and season with care; achieving the right balance of salt, herbs, and spices is key.
- Customize Creatively: Don’t hesitate to add your favorite veggies (like celery*), nuts, or dried fruits to personalize the stuffing and make it uniquely yours.