This wholesome vegan meatloaf recipe is a delicious and hearty option that shines as the ideal main course for vegans and vegetarians, fitting for any occasion.
Some of my favorite fall and vegan holiday recipes include my vegan cornbread muffins and vegan pumpkin soup. However, I created a plant-based main or side dish for the holidays and weekdays that everyone can enjoy.
Vegan meatloaf recipe ingredients
- Lentils: french green or green lentils work best.
- Flax eggs: help to bind the mixture.
- Veggies: onion, garlic, carrot, bell pepper.
- Mushrooms: whole or chopped mushrooms will work fine.
- Spices: salt, pepper, smoked paprika.
- Herbs: oregano, thyme, rosemary – use any combination of dried herbs.
- Acid/Sauce: red wine, vegan Worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, tamari.
- Quinoa: can substitute for brown rice or other grain of your choice.
- Oats: used to help bind the mixture.
How to make vegan lentil meatloaf
- First, use a blender to blend the oats into the flour.
- Second, combine ground flax seeds and water to create a flax egg. Let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture forms a gel-like consistency.
- Third, cook the lentils and quinoa according to package directions in water or veggie broth. Drain the water once the lentils are done.
- Fourth, use a sauté pan: add the oil and season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and herbs. Cook until oil absorbs into spices and aroma fills the air. Add onions, garlic, and carrot, red pepper, and mushrooms. Cook ingredients for 10-15 minutes, taste test, and add additional spices, if needed. Continuously stir!
- Fifth, reduce the heat to medium and add red wine, ketchup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and tamari.
- Sixth, add the cooked lentils, quinoa, blended oats, flax egg, and sautéed veggie mixture to a food processor. Pulse for a couple of seconds until combined, but ensure the mixture still has texture.
- Next, pour the vegan meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan that’s been greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the sauce ingredients (BBQ and ketchup) in a small bowl then use a spoon to spread and coat the exposed vegan meatloaf lentil mixture.
- Finally, bake for 50 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and enjoy!!
Vegan meatloaf Q&A
It’s made of a combination of lentils, mushrooms, vegetables, quinoa, oats, spices, herbs, and a medley of sauces.
Yes, use 2 flax eggs for this vegan meatloaf recipe. Simply combine one 1 tbsp and 3 tbsp water to equal one flax egg. Let it sit for 5 minutes to form a gel-like consistency.
Typically, eggs and breadcrumbs are used as the binder for meatloaf. Since this is a no-egg meatloaf I use oats as the binder.
Once the prep work is complete and all the ingredients have been combined it will take approximately 35-50 minutes to bake depending on your loaf and oven.
No, it’s not necessary to cover vegan meatloaf while baking. However, if you’d prefer, you’re welcome to do so.
If you do not have a loaf pan you can use a sheet pan or baking dish.
Vegan Meatloaf Substitutions
Don’t worry if you’re missing some key ingredients for your vegan meatloaf recipe. Here are a few versatile substitutions to save the day.
- Ground flax seeds: substitute with ground chia seeds.
- Oats: substitute with breadcrumbs.
- Quinoa: substitute with brown or white rice.
- Red wine: substitute with apple cider vinegar or vegetable stock.
- Tamari: substitute with soy sauce or coconut aminos.
How to store, freeze, and reheat Vegan Meatloaf
- Fridge: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave until warm.
- Freezer: Use an air-tight container or freezer bag and store for up to a month. Defrost on the counter and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through.
Tips for Making a Vegan Lentil Loaf
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper. This will prevent the lentil loaf from sticking and make it easier to remove from the pan once cooked.
- Give the veggies time to cook in the pan. Do this for at least 10 minutes, but ideally 15 minutes. Time will allow the veggies to cook down and turn brown as it will build flavor for the loaf.
- Do not over-pulse the mixture in the food processor. That way, it won’t be completely pureed. There should be whole pieces left for texture. If you puree the mixture too much, you’ll have a more mushy lentil loaf.
What to serve with Lentil Loaf
Here are a few other recipes that complement the loaf very well:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Vegan Cheesy Pasta
- Sweet Potato Farro Salad
- Cranberry Sauce
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THIS VEGAN MEATLOAF. I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU;-)
Easy Vegan Lentil Meatloaf (Delicious & Hearty)
- 2 cup green lentils
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds +6 tbsp water (combined), sub with ground chia seeds
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked, sub with brown or white rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced or chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 portabello mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup red wine sub with vegetable stock or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tamari sub with soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup oats sub with breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp ketchup
Vegan Meatloaf Sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup add extra, if needed
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce add extra, if needed
- In a blender, add oats and blend into flour.
- Combine ground flax seeds and water to create a flax egg. Let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture forms a gel-like consistency.
- Cook lentils and quinoa according to package directions in water or veggie broth. Drain the water once lentils are done.
- In a sauté pan, add the oil and season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, dried oregano and parsley. Cook until oil absorbs into spices and aroma fills the air. Add onions, garlic, and carrot, red pepper, and mushrooms. Cook ingredients for 10-15 minutes, taste test and add additional spices if needed. Continuously stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add red wine, ketchup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and tamari.
- In a food processor, add cooked lentils, quinoa, blended oats, flax eggs, and sautéed veggie mixture. Pulse for a couple of seconds until combined, but ensure mixture still has texture.
- Pour vegan meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan that been greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Mix bbq sauce and ketchup together in a small bowl. Add the sauce to the top of the lentil loaf and spread with the back of a spoon to coat the exposed vegan meatloaf lentil mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Let it for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and serve.
- Give your veggies time to brown.
- Do not over pulse the mixture in the food processor.
- Let the vegan meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes prior to removing it from the pan.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.