Vegan Lentil Bolognese
This delicious vegan lentil bolognese recipe is hearty, healthy, and great for batch cooking. Made with lots of veggies and the best red sauce over your favorite pasta, spaghetti squash, or rice.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 sweet bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups cooked lentils (I prefer french green lentils, when possible)
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of veggie stock (or water) add more if needed
- Pasta, spaghetti squash, or rice for serving
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
Cook dry french green lentils as indicated on the package and add your favorite seasonings.
Cook the pasta to your desired likeness and set aside.
Add grapeseed oil into a large pan with the chopped onion, garlic, and sweet bell pepper, plus sea salt and pepper.
Let this soften then add the mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
Add about half the veggie stock and the herbs, then add the tomato puree, canned tomatoes, maple syrup, and lentils.
Continue to add the remaining veggie stock as it cooks.
Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve the lentil mixture over pasta. Enjoy!!