New Years Black Eyed Peas (vegan)
These new years black-eyed peas are packed with nutrients, rich in flavor, and are thought to provide good luck for the new year. Enjoy with vegan cornbread over greens.
- 2 cup dried black eyed peas
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock add more, if needed
- 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika or use liquid smoke
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers optional
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- greens of your choice optional
Add two cups of dried black eyed peas to a large bowl and cover with water overnight.
In a large pot, add oil (of your choice) over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add your rinsed and drained black eyed peas and cover with vegetable stock (about 4 inches). In addition, add seasonings, Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Base, and bay leaves.
Cook for 1 hour or until the black eyed peas are tender. Adjust seasonings as needed and serve over greens of your choice with our vegan jalapeno cheesy cornbread muffins.