New Years Black Eyed Peas (vegan)
These new years black-eyed peas are packed with nutrients, rich in flavor, and are thought to provide good luck for the new year. Enjoy with vegan cornbread over greens.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
- 2 cup dried black eyed peas
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock add more, if needed
- 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika or use liquid smoke
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers optional
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- greens of your choice optional
Add two cups of dried black eyed peas to a large bowl and cover with water overnight.
In a large pot, add oil (of your choice) over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add your rinsed and drained black eyed peas and cover with vegetable stock (about 4 inches). In addition, add seasonings, Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Base, and bay leaves.
Cook for 1 hour or until the black eyed peas are tender. Adjust seasonings as needed and serve over greens of your choice with our vegan jalapeno cheesy cornbread muffins.