The Best Lentil Soup Recipe
An easy, lentil soup recipe with potatoes, carrots, cabbage, greens, herbs, and seasonings. Perfect for meal prep or gatherings. This comforting soup is can be made in a large pot, instant pot, dutch oven or crock pot. Add your topping of choice and enjoy.
- 1 cup uncooked green or brown lentils (thoroughly rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups chopped greens such as kale, arugla or red cabbage
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or oil of your choice) or sub for water
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or sub garlic-infused oil
- 4 large carrots thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper divided // plus more to taste
- 2 cups yellow or red potatoes roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups 4 cups vegetable broth (plus more as needed)
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme or use a bit of both
Heat a large pot over medium heat. As the pot heats up, add your favorite oil (sub for water if avoiding oil). Add onion, garlic, and carrots.
Season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and, a bit of cayenne pepper and stir.
Sauté for about 5 minutes or until your aromatics turn translucent. Do not burn the garlic (turn the heat down if the garlic is cooking too quickly.)
Add the potatoes (optional) and season with a bit more sea salt and smoked paprika. Stir the potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
Next, add the vegetable broth, a sprig of rosemary or thyme. Bring to a simmer then add lentils (washed and drained) and stir.
When the veggie broth starts to simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until lentils and potatoes are tender.
Add a handful of greens of your choice and continue simmering for 3-4 minutes or until greens wilt.
Taste test and adjust seasonings to your liking. Add more veggie broth or water if soup becomes too thick.
- You can store leftovers in a glass container in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days or the freezer for up to a month. Reheat on the stovetop and add more vegetable broth to rehydrate as needed.
- Add your favorite toppings such as coconut yogurt, hot sauce, cilantro, and parsley. Enjoy!!