This zucchini pasta recipe is dairy-free, easy to make, and the perfect delicious bowl of pasta.
I don’t know about you, but I’m loving the fall season. I’m enjoying the change in weather, layering clothes, leaves falling, and warming recipes. Some of my favorite fall recipes include my lentil soup, butternut squash soup, and instant pot cauliflower soup.
I like incorporating seasonal ingredients; when I can. For this zucchini pasta, I included butternut squash, watermelon radish, and pasta. Adding pasta to this creamy, crunchy, and healthy recipe is key. Pasta makes everything taste better. Some of my favorite pasta recipes include my mushroom & broccoli pasta, vegan mac & cheese, or this delicious creamy sun-dried tomato pasta.
What’s in my Zucchini Pasta Recipe Dressing
I kept the dressing simple by using neutral cooking oil, lemon zest, Aleppo-style pepper, garlic, and salt.
Ingredients used for my zucchini pasta recipe
- zucchini ribbons: incorporating seasonal veggies in dishes you already love is an easy way to eat more veggies.
- butternut squash: this roasted and creamy vegetable adds more savory element.
- garlic: roasted garlic vs uncooked garlic gives the dressing an additional depth of flavor.
- lemon juice + zest: lemon (zest + juice) makes
- Aleppo-style pepper: it adds an earthy flavor with a fruity undertone.
- salt + black pepper: essential ingredients when making most dishes.
- rigatoni pasta: I love rigatoni pasta but use any pasta you have on hand.
- grape seed oil: my favorite neutral cooking oil.
- watermelon radish: I’ve been waiting all year to play with these beauties. They add a nice crunch. They’re typically available in the fall.
- fresh herbs: I used cilantro for this recipe, but any herb you love will do just fine in the recipe.
How to make this zucchini pasta recipe
- Start by chopping and roasting your butternut squash and garlic. Prepare the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Make the dressing: heat the oil in a saucepan on low. Once the oil is warm, add the garlic, lemon zest, salt, and Aleppo-style pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Toss the zucchini ribbons, roasted butternut squash, pasta, watermelon radish, into a serving bowl. Top with the lemon garlic dressing, and cilantro. Alternatively, you can use other fresh herbs such as, basil or parsley.
Is zucchini a good substitute for pasta
Yes! Zucchini is nutritious, low in calories, and can be spiralized to make zucchini pasta (zoodles). Alternatively, you can make zucchini ribbons as I did for this recipe.
Inspiration for pasta sauces
Here are some other sauces/dressings you can use in your pasta dishes.
- caramelized zucchini and onion
- basil pesto sauce
- garlic and herb tomato sauce
Shana’s Kitchen Essentials
Check out some of the kitchen tools I used to make this zucchini recipe.
More plant-based pasta and soups
- Lentil Bolognese
- Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Sun-dried tomato pasta
- Mushroom & Broccoli Pasta
- Roasted Lemony Cauliflower
- Butternut Squash Soup
Easy Zucchini Pasta Recipe
- 1 zucchini use a y-shaped peeler to make zucchini ribbons
- 1 cup pasta of choice
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 lemon zested & juiced
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Aleppo-style pepper sub for red chili flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-2 watermelon radish sliced and cut into half moons
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the cubed butternut squash in a single layer to a sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place the garlic in the sheet pan as well. Roast for 20-30 minutes.
- Prepare the pasta according to the package instructions. Use a y-shaped peeler to make zucchini ribbons.
- Make the sauce: heat the oil in a saucepan on low heat. Once the oil is warm, add the garlic, lemon zest, salt, and Aleppo-style pepper. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Toss the zucchini ribbons, roasted butternut squash, pasta, cilantro and watermelon radish, into a serving bowl. Top with the garlic lemon dressing.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my affiliate notice for details.