These brussel sprout tacos are smokey, sweet, and topped with a delicious spicy peanut sauce for the win.
My brussel sprout taco recipe is a homemade spin from Bar Takito – one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago to get tacos. Bar Takito offers Nuevo Latino American Cuisine. One of the few vegan-friendly options offers a roasted brussel sprout taco that comes on a blue corn tortilla topped with aji peanut sauce, roasted peanuts, and microgreens. If you live in Chicago or visiting then I highly suggest stopping by.
How to make brussel sprout tacos
Start by preheating your oven to 350°. Rinse and pat your brussel sprouts dry with a towel or paper cloth. Trim the ends and half the brussel sprouts with a knife. Alternatively, you can use a food processor.
Following that, transfer the brussel sprouts to a bowl and add any oil of your choice, season with your DIY taco spice mix (or store-bought), and maple syrup for some additional sweetness (optional). Use a large spoon to mix the ingredients evenly. Transfer the sprouts to a lined baking sheet and roast for about 20-30 minutes. Next, heat your tortillas and add your brussel sprouts. Top them with spicy peanut sauce, tomatoes, and cilantro or cabbage.
This roasted brussel sprout taco recipe is one of the easiest ways to enjoy veggies with a twist. Enjoy!
How to make a peanut sauce
To a blender add unsalted peanut butter* (chunky or smooth), tamari (or low sodium soy sauce), maple syrup, grapeseed oil, garlic, fresh ginger, jalapeño, hot sauce, water and blend until smooth. There are so many ways to enjoy peanut sauce. You can add this easy peanut sauce recipe to a stir fry, spring rolls, noodles, Vietnamese spring rolls, tofu, and pad thai just to name a few.
*Feel free to use peanuts if you do not have peanut butter.
How to make a taco spice mix
In a small bowl, mix chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and black pepper. Store your new DIY taco spice mix in an airtight container.
Brussel Sprout Tacos with Peanut Sauce
- 16 ounces brussels sprouts chopped in half (or lightly shredded)
- 2 tbsp taco mix seasoning
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil (omit if oil-free)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chunky or smooth*
- 1/4 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger skin removed
- 1 jalapeño diced and seeds removed
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup water as needed
- 1 handful of microgreens
- 1 jalapeño diced and seeded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- lime wedges
- extra smoked paprika
DIY Taco Spice Mix
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash, dry brussel sprouts & trim the ends.
- Add them to a food processor and lightly shred (roughly 1-2 pulses)*.
- Spread the brussel sprouts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Season brussel sprouts with the taco spice mix and use hands to distribute.
- Coat with grapeseed oil and leave in oven for approximately 20-30 minutes. Or until your brussel sprouts have reached the desired likeness.
- Spicy Peanut Sauce: Add peanut butter, tamari, grapeseed oil, garlic, ginger, jalapeño (diced & seeded), and hot sauce to a blender (or food processor).
- Blend on high, adding water as needed, until smooth and desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to an airtight container and place in the fridge until ready to use.**
- Assemble your tacos and eat!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- VEGAN JACKFRUIT TACOS WITH SALSA & LIME
- VEGAN MUSHROOM TACOS WITH AVOCADO & LIME
- SHREDDED BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH MAPLE SYRUP